May 3rd- regular meeting
May 6th- Sly eagle project
May 13th- fill the truck event
May 14th- Mother’s day
May 17th- regular meeting
May 19th- lend-a-hand
May 31st- regular meeting.
I will send a more comprehensive list of things we need to do to get ready for Sea Base in the next few days.
Please let me know if there are any huge conflicts on these dates.
JB and I have been working on our Facebook group. Please go to Facebook and search BSA Venture Crew 652 and request to become a member.
There is no campout this weekend.
We are rescheduling the campout for May 19-21 at Punderson State Park.
It might or might not include a canoe trip.
The summer camp information handouts are online.
Regarding the FOS/BOY cards, if you’re doing it on paper, you can mail them to council or put them
in an envelope and bring them to a meeting. We’ll get them to the District Exec.
1) Meeting Schedule,
Regular meeting this week (4/19) and next (4/26).
Planning meeting on May 3.
The current.troop652bsa.org web page lists a meeting on 4/29 but there is none
2) April Camp and Canoe April 28-30,
Canoe Trip Information April 28-30
We will be canoeing the Cuyahoga River from Camp Hi in Hiram-
We’ll be camping Friday and Saturday nights at Punderson State Park in
We’ll be leaving St. Basils on Friday evening at 6.
Cost will be $35 per person which includes the canoe trip. If the food or
camp site cost is less, the scouts will get a refund in their scout account.
3) Summer Camp kickoff April 26 meeting,
Camp week is June 18-24.
Payment schedule is $265 by 5/19, $285 till June 8, then $300
I’ll have handouts for planning badges and schedules at the April 26 meeting and they’ll be posted
There will not be a venture crew meeting this week due to Holy week.
We will reconvene next week, however, I will be out of town so we will need 2 deep leadership at the meeting.
Those of you who are going to Sea Base, we will be collecting the monthly Sea Base payment at that time.
Sly’s Eagle Project: Trail improvement project / turnpike on Wetmore Trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park
When: Saturday, May 6th, 9a – 4p
Where: Meet at Little Meadow Parking area on Quick Rd (map will be provided) or let Sly know if you need a ride. Trail project is across the road from parking area.
What to wear: long sleeves, long pants, work gloves, boots, rain gear; project will take place rain or shine unless strong storms predicted
What to bring: shovel and / or wheelbarrow. Let Sly know if you can provide either one.
Lunch / snacks / drinks / bug spray provided.
Please let Sly know if you can help for all or part of the day.
Our Easter Seals “Fill the Truck” Fundraiser is SATURDAY, MAY 13TH. NOW is the time to notify family, friends, neighbors and co-workers of the FILL THE TRUCK event, so everyone has enough time to clear out their closets and to help make this event successful.
PLEASE HAND OUT THE FLYER to family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc…
When we get closer to the date we will provide a sign up sheet for scouts to help unload cars and load boxes/bags onto the truck. Younger Scouts will earn service hours.
Our pancake breakfast is this Sunday, March 26th. We will need help starting at 7am with set up and will continue to need support until about 3pm after everything is cleaned up. Please let me know if you are able to make it and what times you will be there from and until. I am attaching the flyer so everyone please hand out copies at work, nearby stores, churches and family and friends. It is a fundraiser for the Sea Base crews but those not going on the trip will receive service hours which everyone needs to advance in rank.
Bake Sale- We are also having a bake sale during the pancake breakfast to help increase our funds for the trip. If anyone can donate baked goods or would like to help run the table please contact Mrs Cleary.
There is a venture crew meeting March 15th around 8:15pm at the Parish center.
Here is the update from last time:
1. Sea Base payment due-$200 sea base payment due tomorrow. Make checks payable to Crew 652.
2. Sea Base t-shirt designs due- everyone should attempt to design a t shirt for the sea base trip. We will vote on them tomorrow.
3. Lend a hand- March 17- I have that Sly and Robbie are doing it Friday. We will need to get them the key.
4. Swim opportunity- March 19- 1:30pm-2:30 at Brecksville rec. All in the sea base crews should be there to work on their swimming skills for the sea base trip. Everyone needs to fill out a waiver at the front desk before heading to the locker rooms. Price TBD.
5. Pancake Breakfast- March 26- be there at 7am to start set up and please expect to stay until about 3 pm for clean up. Those who are not going on the sea base trip will receive service hours. I believe there was talk about adding a bake sale to try to increase profit. I will give out more details about this after Wednesdays meeting.
6. Oil City trip- date TBD-
7. Escape Experience- Date TBD
8. Baden Powell Institute -March 18th- this is a great opportunity for all scouts and scouting adults to network, learn about new opportunities and take classes about scouting, as well as check out a bunch of vendors peddling scouting equipment. $15 for the day and includes lunch at CVCC. I encourage everyone to go.
Mar. 8, Regular Meeting
Skills: Edge method Square Knot
Badges: Cit. Nation. Those that have it will teach the amendments
Mar. 11, Brett Sowers Eagle Court of Honor
Who: All scouts and their families
Where: St. Basil Parish Center
When: Saturday. March 11, 2017, 2-4 pm
Why: Honor Brett’s achievements, motivate scouts to achieve this honor
Mar. 15, Regular Meeting
Skills: Test & Teach Taut Line hitch
Activity: Make fire starters, New scouts learn fire lays
March 18, Baden Powell Institute (training)
This is like continuing education seminars for adults and scouts who need or want Den Chief training. Den Chief is a good position to hold in the troop because it counts toward rank advancement and helps us recruit from Cub Scout packs.
Baden Powell Institute
Cuyahoga Valley Career Center
More details herehttp://councils.scouting.org/Council440/Training/BPI/Course%20Descriptions
Mar. 22, Regular Meeting.
Skills: Test and Teach Bowline, Scout Rank
Badges: Cit. Nation
Activity: Campout Activity Plan
Mar. 29, Regular Meeting.
Skills: Test and teach Clove Hitch
Badges: Cit. Nation
Activity: Campout Menu plan
March 31-April 2, Father-Son at Camp Tuscazoar